MEI stands on our reputation of technical quality, safety, and environmental responsibility. From the computer-aided design of new and upgraded transmission facilities, through the development of drawings and bid specifications, materials engineering and procurement, construction and project management, MEI provides a wide range of transmission line design services. Our long history in the utility industry gives us a unique understanding of transmission issues. more...
- Computer-Aided Transmission Power Line Design using PLS-CADD
- Design of Structures and Foundations using PLS-POLE, CAISSON, and LPILE
- Detailed Job Packages—Line Design, Construction Staging, Conductor Sag and Tension Charts to Owner Standards
- Easement Research and Acquisition
- Load Requirements and Design Drawings for Full-Scale Structural Tests
- Transmission Power Line Upgrades and Modifications, Reconductoring Design Procurement and Consulting
- CCN Applications
- Centerline Surveys
- Construction/Project Management
- Construction Inspection
- Consulting and Training for National Electrical Safety Code
- Develop Plan and Profile Drawings
- Development of Purchase Specifications and Drawings
- High Temperature (200°C) Conductor Design
- Material Specifications and Contract Bid Documents
- Materials Engineering and Procurement
- Regulatory Permit Consulting and Filing
- Transmission Power Line Design and Calculations
The team at MEI is knowledgeable in all aspects of system planning and protection for electric cooperatives, municipal utility systems, as well as investor owned electric systems. We specialize in the building of detailed utility system models using software to perform a wide variety of system planning studies, as well as system protection and coordination studies. more...
- Capacitor Placement Studies
- Capital Improvement Planning and Engineering
- Electric System Economic Analysis
- Motor Start Analysis
- RUS Construction Work Plans
- RUS Environmental Reports
- RUS Financial Forecast Studies
- RUS Long Range Plans
- Substation and System Load Projections
- Substation Feasibility Studies
- System Arc Flash and NERC Compliance Studies
- System Protection Studies
- Voltage Drop Studies
MEI maintains a core group of substation engineers and designers with varying backgrounds in the electric utility and consulting engineering industries. This collective experience includes design, construction, operations, maintenance, system protection, and apparatus expertise. MEI takes the utilities perspective in substation design projects and factors into account the field operations and maintenance of the substation facilities. more...
- 138 kV Substation Designs
- 138 kV Capacitor Installations
- 138 kV Relay Schemes
- 138 kV Meter Configurations
- Analysis of protective system events
- Construction Supervision by Critical Path Method (CPM)
- Determine Initial System Requirements
- Development of Material Specifications
- Development of Construction Bid Unit Specifications
- Issue the project for bid
- Management of the construction contractor
- Feasibility Studies
- Full EPC packages to Owner or MEI Standards
- Grounding System Analysis and Design
- Material Specification and Labor Procurement Through Competitive Bid Process
- Materials Engineering and Procurement
- New Substation Design (Electrical, Structural, Civil)
- Oil Containment Systems
- Power factor correction studies
- Regulatory permitting and filing
- Relay calculations and settings
- Relay scheme design
- Reliability Analysis
- Reliability-Based Design
- Retrofit/Capacity Increases
- SCADA Design
- Site Development Proposals
- Site Location Planning Design Specifications
- Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) Plans
- Substation Apparatus Consulting (Witness of Factory Test, Application Consulting, Rating, )
- Project and Construction Management, Including management of construction Activities at Client Sites
- Upgrades and Modifications, Including Developing Designs and Plans to Facilitate keeping the Substation in Service During Construction
- Vendor evaluation and component selection
- CPM Scheduling
MEI maintains a core group of relay and control engineers and designers with varying backgrounds in the electric utility and consulting engineering industries. This collective experience includes design, construction, operations, maintenance, system protection, and apparatus expertise. This combination enhances MEI’s ability to deliver a quality product on both new design and existing brownfield redesigns and retrofits. It also means we can look at related items including coordination, relay settings, device programming as well as arc flash studies (MV and LV). more...
Data that once took days to obtain through traditional survey and inventory methods is now gathered in a matter of hours with greater accuracy and far more detail utilizing a UAV’s. Using a UAV platforms for data collection sensors and high-resolution cameras provides a vantage point for the most complete information and imagery available, and it is not subject to the same limitations in access as ground-based data collection. more...
At McCord Engineering, we continue to grow our fleet, develop new technologies and add modern sensors to collect valuable data. We have a team of experienced utility industry professionals and FAA licensed pilots, dedicated to applying state-of-the-art technologies to produce high-quality deliverables for our clients. Our objective is to provide highly refined and accurate data to our clients about their facilities in the field in order to support specific business decisions and objectives. While many other firms are working toward diversifying their services across multiple industries, at McCord Engineering, we are staying focused on developing the best possible services and resources for the electric utility industry.
The experienced professionals at MEI are able to design virtually any distribution power line configuration. We have expertise in all aspects of utility, industrial, and institutional power distribution engineering. We have designed and field staked thousands of miles of underground and overhead distribution power lines for all distribution class voltages. We have a reputation for efficiency and safety, as well as meeting each client’s schedule, goals and system needs. more...
- 15 kV to 35 kV Overhead Electric Utility Infrastructure Design
- Construction and Material Bid Specifications, Procurement, and Contracts
- Construction Contract Management
- Cost Estimates and Material Lists
- Easement Research and Acquisition
- Emergency Assistance with Major Storm Events and Outages & Restoration
- Engineering and Design of 15 kV to 35 kV Underground Infrastructure in- cluding encased conduit, manhole, and boring
- Engineering and Design for Overhead and Underground Voltage Conver- sions and Reconductoring
- Field Inventory, Staking Services, and Drawing Development
- Inspection Services for 15 kV to 35 kV Overhead/Underground Construction and Maintenance
- Line Relocation Design for Roadway Improvement Projects
- Make-Ready Engineering for Communications Utility Attachments
- Motor Start Analysis
- Pad-Mount Switchgear Applications, Manual Operated and Automatic Transfer
- Power Quality Investigations & Issues
- Roadway and Outdoor Area Lighting Design, Installation and Maintenance
- Staking Training Classes
- Unit Drawing Specifications
At McCord Engineering, we are pioneering new and more cost-effective ways to bring valuable data from the field to the office in a variety of formats. Our Geospatial Services team can meet all of your data collection, data processing and GIS needs. We tailor every data collection mission to facilitate the specific business needs of our clients, and we deliver data in a format designed to integrate seamlessly into the clients engineering or decision-making workflow. We are pairing the best data collection technologies available with the best hardware and software available. more...
Data Collection Services:
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) Utilizing a UAV platform for data collection sensors and high-resolution cameras provides a vantage point for the most complete information and imagery available, and it is not subject to the same limitations in access as ground-based data collection. Data that once took days to obtain through traditional survey and inventory methods is now gathered in a matter of hours with greater accuracy and far more detail.
- FLIR Infrared
- 4K Video High Resolution Still Cameras
- Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI)
In most cases, all sensors can collect data simultaneously in one flight. This creates a series of data that can be used for many different applications. For more information on our Unmanned Aerial Vehicles click HERE.
MEI has experienced professionals who can assist with construction project management and construction work order inspections. MEI can be involved with a construction project at any level as desired by the client, from 100% of the time the contractor is on site to weekly trips to check on construction. MEI performs construction work order inspections for numerous cooperative clients. These inspections include a field review and an engineer signing off on the inspections and RUS 219’s. more...
The Project Manager will perform and/or assign a Construction Inspector to perform construction management and inspections. The role of Construction Inspector is vital to the success of the construction project. This role is responsible for enforcing the Engineer approved designs per the drawings and construction specifications. Inspections and coordination with the Construction Contractor are the best ways to ensure that the Construction Contractor performs in accordance with the drawings and construction specifications. The function of the “Construction Inspector” includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate all project site visits with the client’s representative, if required.
- Review of materials on hand and schedule deliveries.
- Review the construction schedule with the Construction Contractor and update as necessary.
- Periodically visit the construction site to observe and document construction progress, as needed (frequency to be determined by client).
- Be present at the site to witness execution of critical construction milestones as required by the construction specification.
- Assist with ensuring construction is being implemented according to the plans, construction specifications and schedule. Site inspection is expected to resolve most, if not all, design and construction conflicts.
- Each construction inspection should include digital photographs of the construction progress. Site visit notes will be included in the written progress report.
- Progress reports will be issued to the client monthly, or as required.
MEI provides mapping services utilizing Global Positioning System (GPS) Field Data Collection to electric cooperatives and municipalities. Mapping Services vary from providing direction and advice to providing a complete electric mapping system. more...
A full inventory can be performed on all facilities (poles, meters, transformers, capacitors, fuses, reclosers, regulators, switches, etc.) including all pole framing assembly units. All of the Poles’ birthmarks which include the height, class, and year of the pole, right-of-way clearing data, foreign (telephone, cable, and communications) contacts, and all street and security light poles can be collected. By collecting this data it will serve as an asset to all departments (i.e. mapping, engineering, operations, construction, planning, accounting, marketing, and management) and will aid in the upkeep and maintenance of the system.
- Global Positioning System (GPS) Field Data Collection
- Complete Facility Inventory
- Translation/Conversion of GPS Data to Mapping System
- Mapping System Setup/Integration, Custom Symbol Design, and Accurate Data Mapping utilizing WindMil and WindMilMap by Milsoft Utility Solutions and ESRI and AutoCAD Map 3D (Autodesk, Inc.)